Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Broly Trinity



What do you see when you look at this picture? A selection of all the greatest American name brand foods that you could find in your local grocery store.

What do I see when I look at this picture? A selection of all the greatest American name brand foods that I would almost never eat at home, but would sell my kidney to get here (figuratively speaking of course).

A pleasantly large box full of these items is what greeted me the last time I was at Peace Corps office in Nampula. It may have arrived there a few weeks before, and in Mozambique a few weeks before that, but the date that always will matter to me is March 9th. On that day I found out something that might change the very existence of how I see travel. It might expand and redirect my notion of what my home is. And it might mean that living in a convenience store is the most hospitable locale.

Home is only as far as the closest box of mac-n-cheese, mug of hot chocolate, and apple.

That’s right, the physical distance between you and the closest box of mac-n-cheese, mug of hot chocolate, and apple, or The Broly Trinity, is directly proportional to how far away what you consider your home is. Revolutionary, right?

The first question you might like to ask me is “Sam, why is it called ‘The Broly Trinity’?” To which I would diplomatically respond, well that’s a dumb question. Of course it’s the Broly trinity, bro.

The second question you might like to ask me is “Bro, what unit of measurement should I use for the distance from me to The Broly Trinity?”  Great question! To find this distance, or TBTIHF? (Adorable puppy pics to whoever can figure out what TBTIHF? stands for), you could use your standard issue mac-n-cheese box, mug of hot chocolate, and apple and lay them head to foot, as shown.  That is Wrong! Though it may be accurate, this is a time consuming endeavor and uses the object to measure itself. That’s like defining a word with the same word. That’s like trying to get somewhere with an unfilled chapa (bus). That’s like only using metaphors to define metaphors. Which is to say, it gets you nowhere.

To measure TBTIHF?, bring together your closest mac-n-cheese box, closest mug of hot coco, and closest apple. Do you have all three? Good. Now how many modes of transportation did it take for you to acquire them? Congratulations, you have just measured your first TBTIHF?. That is how far you are from home.

So the next time you feel lost, confused, sad, stressed, overworked, underpaid, exhausted, and just generally shitty, form a Broly Trinity. You Are Home. Then be thankful that it did not take you 2 chapas, a gas stop, two belayas, another chapa, and a very friendly Peace Corps employee (Marcelino!) to complete your trinity.

PS: Thanks so much to Shari for allowing me to gather the trinity
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coco and Zoe Update: If you haven’t noticed yet, the “pup formerly known as Poco” (as she will be called in her later years) is now named Zoe. Though the similarity of Poco and Coco may have been cute, Coco was getting way too confused. Currently, Zoe has been peeing on my floor less and only attacks my bright blue alpaca wool poncho*, as opposed to that and all my other clothes. As she’s begun to eat real food, I’ve been training her based on the great advice I been given by many of the Peace Corps dog owners. Once she stops puking up her real food, I’m giving Zoe to Dylan, my site mate.


Where you been hiding
Where you been hiding from the news
Cause we been fighting lately
We been fighting with the Wolves

"The Wolves"- Ben Howard

* Many of you said I would never get to use my bright blue alpaca wool poncho, flannel lined carharts, or fluffy wool socks. Many of you said that Africa can’t get cold. Well many of you were wrong. This past Saturday night, after a hard rain, I felt a shiver in my shorts and t-shirt. So on went the cold weather clothes, when it was maybe 20C (70F). That’s what 10 straight months of summer (May 2011- March 2012) do to you.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, The Broly Trinity ...is how far?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect Sam Bar-esque post, perfect rambling, perfect ranting, perfection.

    ReplyDelete