Sunday, November 10, 2013

Despedidas are Such Sweet Sorrow

Juvencio, Nildo, Monis, Euclides and Rosario tending the
grill. The shish kababas were a big hit
Though I've never been someone who's put much stock in the formal events that normally mark big changes, I knew long ago that having Festa de Despedida (goodbye party) would be an important marker of my time here. But after having seen volunteers close out their service with everything from disappearing in a puff of smoke, to weeks of blowout parties, holding a small and informal event seemed the most appropriate way for me to say goodbye. After spending two of the most important years my life in Alto Molocue, it was the least I could do to host my friends and adopted family together for one last party.

Cristencio, Dalton, and Belchoir enjoying the novelty of
meat-and-veggies-on-a-stick
During the past week, any of my time that I wasn't spending showing my Moz 21 site visitors (hey Jules and Jesse!) around Alto Molocue was spent preparing for the party. Between printing invitations, formally handing them out to everyone, buying food, acquiring pots and pans, borrowing chairs, and contracting some kitchen help, my last full week here was packed.  Waking up Saturday morning ready to have a party, I was greeted by Tojo's sister Maria, who I had contracted to help me for the day. Since the family has been going through some difficult times over the past week, I was happy to help them out in any way I could. While Maria got the large pots of beans and rice ready, I worked on all the other things there were left to do. Throughout the day, friends came by to see how the preparations were going and offered to help take care of something else that needed done. I felt so lucky to have all these smart, reliable, hard-working people there with me to help set everything up.

Eric and Steph decorating the cakes with home-made
frosting and Nutella. Yum!!!

Once all the prep work was done, and the hour of the party was approaching, everyone who was helping out headed home to take a bath and change their clothes. Then at 15:00, my 30 guests started showing up, and the party was under way. After picking up plates of food and soda at my makeshift outdoor buffet, guests spent the afternoon sitting in my yard chatting, laughing, and dancing. The biggest hit were the expertly seasoned shish-kababs, which were an improvement on the plain meat-only skewers that they normally sell here. Seeing my friends giggle with delight as they bit into a grilled cherry tomato was almost as fun as introducing Mozambicans to s'mores.

Steph, Raimundo, Gloria, Lourdes, and Cesar hanging out
in-front of the buffet. They were very strategic in their seating
Once everyone had arrived, and gotten a chance to fill their bellies, we got to the sad but sweet collection of goodbyes. First Eric showed a slideshow (accompanied by awesome 90s music. Woot Woot Third Eye Blind!) of pictures from my 2 years here. Then Belchoir read a heartfelt goodbye message that nearly brought me to tears. Finally, there were a few friends who presented gifts, and it was time to make the difficult but necessary speech. Most of you know that I'm a big talker. Whether it be chit-chatting at the dinner table, debating world issues, or sleeping-talking in multiple languages, I'm rarely at a loss for words. But how does one pack 2 years worth of gratitude and love into a few concise sentences? Doing the best that I could, I thanked them all for making me feel at home in a place that was so strange and foreign to me 2 years ago and ensuring them that they would never be forgotten. After some impromptu singing, and a fun cake cutting ceremony, the party continued with hours more of eating, dancing, drinking, and just enjoying each-others company.

Myself, Sergio, and Gil serving ourselves a 2nd
(or 3rd, or 4th....) plate
Being able to bring 30 of my closest Alto Molocue friends together in one place was a real treat, and I will always remember how fun a relaxing life here can be. With only a few days left here to give away presents,  pack my bags, and say my final goodbyes, I will always be thankful for my friends-turned-adopted family that have made Alto Molocue a second home.

Durante a resta da minha vida, vou ter saudades no fundo de meu coração. Kopwaha ki owane!


1 comment: