Wednesday, September 18, 2013

All Grown Up

A week ago, the Escuteiros de Alto Molocue made me feel like what I assume my parents felt like when I first went off to college. For the previous months, myself and the rest of the scout leadership had been planning a camping trip to Nawela in honor of the 7th of September (the peace accord which ended the civil war). As opposed to the previous camping trip, which was wholly and fully funded by our own personal contributions, this time we were hoping that the local government would help us pay for food and transportation. Luckily, the Administrator of our district was a scout when he grew up in Gurue, so it wasn't a hard sell. But after the date had been set and plans were under way, I found out that my COS (closing of service conference) would be ending the first day of the camping trip, making it virtually impossible for me to participate. So after having helped to plan, coordinate, and prepare for what was sure to be great trip, I had to sit at home on Saturday and Sunday nights and wait to hear how it all went.

Thankfully, Juvencio took some pictures with his cellphone,
so I could see all the fun I missed out on
Though the scouts were supposed to have gotten back on Sunday, I hadn't heard anything from them by the time I was leaving for Quelimane on Monday morning and had begun to worry that something horrible had happened to them. Thankfully I ran into Baltazar, a scout who had been on the trip, on his way to school and the filled me in. Apparently it was a near perfect trip. The scouts all went and came back safely, a theater piece they had presented on domestic violence and premature marriages was well received by a large crowd, the church-yard campsite was beautiful and included water and bathrooms, and it was all seamlessly run by the troop that I had took such care to organize and train. The only hicup was that the government provided transportation and food had arrived 24 hours late, but considering the complexities of Mozambican bureaucracy, that's actually pretty good. All in all, it was a fantastic trip that I regret to have missed.


Juvencio in Nawela helping a scout with her backpack
After having spent since May of last year to start, grow, teach, coordinate, equip, and prepare the leadership of the troop for the day when they when I would be back in the USA, I can say with both confidence and pride that the Escuteiros de Alto Molocue will do just great on their own. But just like parents who's children have left the nest and can take care of themselves, it's bittersweet to know that they'll be alright on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment