Wednesday, September 26, 2012

1 Moring, 4 Projects


JUNTOS Troca. Taking this photo was the
only time I had to watch the sessions
For the past month I’ve been running at 110% managing my 4 ongoing secondary projects: English Theater, Jornal Escolar de Alto Molócuè, Escuteiros, and Science fair. Between the Escuteiros initiation ceremony, national science fair competition in Chimoio (which both of the Zambezia representatives won first place in), a JUNTOS journalism troca de experienca (experience exchange) in Gurue, and next weekend’s English Theater competition in Mocuba, it’s been a little overwhelming. Luckily, I’ve been able to finagle my schedule so that no two projects conflict with each other, but this also means that I haven’t had a free weekend in a month, and don’t expect to till the end of the school year (October 26th!!).

English Theater performing at morning concentration
 Yet this overwhelmingly full schedule hit new highs this Tuesday. On the 25th of September, which is the Dia da Luta Armada (Armed Resistance Day), I somehow managed to work on all 4 of my secondary projects nearly simultaneously. It started with an early morning English Theater practice to review our performance in front of the school the day before and make preparations for this weekend’s trip to Mocuba. Then I went straight to the Rotunda da Villa (City Roundabout) where I was meeting up with the scouts for our first commemorative march. As this would be our introduction to the community of Alto Molócuè, we had been preparing for a week. Though the banner making crew had only completed their work the night before, we were actually prepared. Pretty important for a group whose slogan is Sempre Pronto. While waiting for the march to the Praca da Herois (Heroes Plaza) to start, I met up with the journalist who was assigned to cover the event. After showing him how to use the camera the march got underway.

Escuteiros getting down during the march
and after its over, that's why they're smiling
Done on most commemorative days, march’s are an important part of Mozambican ceremonies. Normally, many groups relevant to the day’s event, and many more irrelevant, organize people to walk through town singing songs, clamping hands, and generally being merry. But as the majority of the town’s chefe’s are in Pemba for the 10th FRELIMO congress, attendance was pretty low. This did not deter our scouts, who’s cheers, dances, and songs did not stop over the entire 2 km route. Even while we stood waiting for the government representatives to arrive, there were only very short stretches of time where we were not making an inordinate amount of noise. After an hour of waiting in the sun, the ceremonies finally got under way, but not without their own opportunity for a scouting demonstration. As if we had planned it, one of the older veterans of the armed resistance (1964-1975) fainted in the square and we were called over by my director. Though we were shamefully unprepared, he was moved to the shade while I ran the short distance home and picked up my first aid kit, a few cups, and several bottles of water. After re-hydrating, he felt much better and for the rest of the day scouts were on public safety patrol.

Belchoir, myself, the 2 Directors, and the Administrador
As is typical, the wreath laying at the praca dos herois was followed up by speeches, plays, and contests at the public park nearby. En-route, I pulled off my scout uniform, revealing the National Science Fair t-shirt I had worn underneath. Since one of the winners of the National Science Fair was my student, the two of us had been making the rounds of the provincial and local governments to shake hands and take pictures. But there was one more honor left. As part of the day’s festivities, Belchoir was to be presented to the community as a victor, and make a little speech. Though I was also asked to say a few words, I declined, not wanting to embarrass myself in front of the whole town. Once Belchoir was done, we walked down the stage, and joined the scouts for the end of the ceremonies. Upon our exit, JEAM’s photographer took a group picture of the scouts, and we went home. After sorting through the day’s photos with the reporter, I was finally done.

Needless to say, this was an exhausting morning (yes, this all happened before noon) and I rewarded myself with a relaxing lunch and afternoon hike with Dylan. Though I’m glad I was able to participate in all these activities, it will be nice to have some free time once the school year ends and many of my students leave town to go home. Only 1 month left, and then I’m on summer break!

No comments:

Post a Comment